Detailed Guide For Diabetes Treatment As Per Ayurvedic Perspective
India is deemed the world’s diabetes capital. According to information from the Health Ministry Govt. of India, the diabetic population of the country is going to hit an alarming figure of 69.9 million by 2025 and 80 million by 2030. Urban India has more incidences of diabetes than rural India. Also, the prevalence is higher in the age group of 70-79 years, and males are more prone to diabetes. Diabetes is a major cause of blindness, kidney failure, heart attacks, stroke, and lower limb amputation and also there was a 5% increase in premature mortality (aged less than 70 years) due to diabetes.
Diabetes Mellitus generally known as diabetes is a metabolic disorder that causes high blood sugar. The hormone insulin moves sugar from the blood into our cells to be stored or consumed for energy. Untreated high blood sugar, in the long run, can damage your nerves, eyes, kidneys, and other organs.
Types of Diabetes
- TYPE 1 DIABETES is an autoimmune disease in which our immune system is attacked and finishes our cells which helps our pancreas, where insulin is prepared.
- TYPE 2 DIABETES happens when the body becomes resistant to insulin and sugar starts building up in the blood
- PREDIABETES occurs when blood sugar is higher than normal but lesser to be detected as type 2 diabetes.
- GESTATIONAL DIABETES happens during pregnancy due to the insulin-blocking hormone released by the placenta.
Diabetes Treatment Ayurveda
Diabetes in Ayurveda is called by the name ‘PRAMEHA’ which refers to a group of disorders associated with the urinary system often coined the term obstinate urinary disorder. Ayurvedic treatment of diabetes describes 20 types of Prameha of which 10 are Kapha predominant ones, 6 are pitta predominant and 4 are Vata predominant.it further explains another variety called Madhumeha which comes as a complication if these 20 varieties of Prameha are left untreated. Madhumeha can be co-related to modern-day diabetes mellitus.
Causes of Prameha
- Eating without any check or control
- Sedentary habits and sleep addiction
- Excess intake of curds
- Excess consumption of meat from domesticated and aquatic animals and animals from the marshy land
- Excess intake of milk and its products
- Intake of freshly harvested grains, freshly prepared alcoholic drinks
- All Kapha aggravating factors
Signs and Symptoms of Prameha
The 3 signs of Prameha according to Ayurveda are:
The sensation of sweetness in the body
Ayurveda further includes the following under the signs and symptoms of Prameha:
Ayurveda lists Prameha or Madhumeha under Asta Mahagada (8 most dangerous diseases) due to the complications it can cause and make the life of the person miserable. The Ayurvedic Treatment for Type 2 Diabetes is the metabolic correction that is achieved by performing panchakarma therapies.
Prameha tends to affect all the Dhatus and Upadhatus (The body tissues) which can be identified as:
- Rasa Dhatu (Blood Plasma & Lymphatics): Hyperglycemia
- Rakta Dhatu (Blood): The reduced quality of blood along with increased viscosity)
- Mamsa Dhatu (Muscles): Muscle wasting & necrosis
- Medo Dhatu (Fat): Increased body fat
- Asthi Dhatu (Bones): reduced bone density
- Majja Dhatu (Nervous Tissue): Degeneration of brain tissue
- Shukra Dhatu (Reproductive System): Loss of libido, transmission to next generation
- Sira (Arteries): atherosclerosis
- Tvak (Skin): carbuncles, ulcers
- Snayu (Nerves): Neuropathies especially topical neuropathies.
Insulin treatment Ayurveda
Correcting Agni (digestive fire) and eliminating Kleda (Sticky elements in the body ) is the main aim of doing Ayurvedic treatments for Prameha. The line of Ayurvedic Treatment for Diabetes includes Nidana Parivarjana, Samshodhana karma, and Samana Chikitsa.
- NIDANA PARIVARJANA or Avoidance of causative factors: adapting a healthy lifestyle prevents Prameha or controls prameha
- SAMSHODHANA KARMA or PANCHAKARMA also known as bio cleansing or body detoxification aims at cleansing the body of toxins and making the body fit for further rehabilitation. Panchakarma procedures like Vamana, Virechana, and Vasti are performed. But they mostly depend on the person’s body constitution and severity of the disease.
- SAMANA CHIKITSA or Palliative Therapy: Mainly includes various external therapies to strengthen the body, Drug therapies that can act as a supporting treatment for the conventional diabetic treatment.
SIMPLE MEDICAL HERBS ADVISED IN PRAMEHA TREATMENT:
- Phyllanthus Emblica/ Indian Gooseberry: Amalaki or Amla
- Haridra or Turmeric : Curcuma longa
- Jambu or Jamun /Java Plum : Syzgium cumini
- Meshashringi or Gudmar/ Gymnema : Gymnema sylvestre
- Methi/Fenugreek: Trigonella Foenum-Graecum
- Vijayasara or Bijak / Indian kino : Pterocarpus marsupium
- Karela / bitter gourd : Memorandia charantia
- Saptachakra / lolly berry : Salacia chinensis
- Bimbi / ivy gourd : Coccinia indica
If you are looking for the best and most effective Ayurvedic Treatment for Diabetes in Mumbai then kindly call us today for booking the required consultation with our ayurvedic Diabetes specialist doctor.