What is Osteoarthritis and how do you know if you’ve got it.
Over the years, you probably must have gotten yourself into some sport or the other that you were very passionate about, or some excessive exercises that you continued, to make yourself look fit. Sure, it was fun while it lasted, you did get those jealous eyes and many winks from here and there. But what you could not have taken into consideration is that these intense physical activities being repeated over a long duration without the proper care could lead to wear and tear of either the muscle, tissue, cartilage, bones or even a combination of them. You may not feel the immediate effect but slowly and surely, with the passing of time, these conditions will get more and more severe if not taken the proper care for it.
One of the leading and most common form of Arthritis which affects millions worldwide is Osteoarthritis. It’s a condition where the protective cartilage between the two bones starts wearing off due to excessive sports, past injuries, overweight, etc. When this happens, a mild irritation begins at the beginning and continues to do so silently with an increasing effect until it leads to a severe case of intense pain and inflammation. Therefore, it’s important to know, in the early stages if you have got it or not.
One of the many ways you could diagnose yourself to check whether you have got Osteoarthritis is through X-Rays and MRI’s where the imaging tests uses radio waves and magnetic fields to capture the image of the bones and tissues. Blood tests, joint fluid analysis and other tests can also be done to rule out any other conditions that could cause inflammation like Rheumatoid Arthritis which is another joint condition with similar symptoms.
There are many ways to treat Osteoarthritis and many more reasons to choose the natural way to treat your condition rather than the other. Few of the ways that Ayurveda could help you overcome the condition are as follows:-
• Ashwagandha- Also known as “The smell of horse” in Sanskrit is a powerful herbal medicine that is believed to give you the vitality and strength of a horse. This medicine also serves the purpose of treating inflammation and keeping it at bay.
• Shatavari- Also known as “Asparagus Racemosus” is known for its anti-inflammatory properties such as TNF-alpha and IL-1B. This Ayurvedic herb is considered to have a soothing and cooling effect on the body which helps in reducing cramps and pains, and it also helps in the increase of knee flexion.
• Triphala- Triphala or otherwise known as the “nectar of life” is an old mix of herb that has been found to have healing effects on the body such as speedy recovery and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in strengthening the bones and flushing out Uric acid which could lead to inflammation.
• Tumeric- Tumeric is widely known for its healing abilities, one of which is to get rid of inflammation, It could be taken both as an eatable as well as be applied on the body. It also helps in recovering from joint pains and arthritis.
• Ginger- This too can be used as an oil to be applied on as well as a medicine to be ingested for rejuvenation and healing. It is also well known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
• Yoga and Massage- Yoga and Ayurveda massage not only relieves the pain from the joints but also strengthens the joints and muscles as well as making it flexible enough to stretch like you once used to.
A good change of lifestyle, a healthy diet followed by mild exercises like swimming, walking and yoga could do wonders to the human body. Do what is necessary to ensure your youthful vitality lasts throughout the years to come.