Gulkand also known as Rose-Petal Jam is one of the most delicious Ayurvedic preparation. At the same time, its health benefits are beyond doubt. The word ‘Gulkand’ is derived from ‘Gul ‘, which means ‘flower’ in Persian, and ‘Qand’ which means ‘sweet’ in Arabic.
Gulkand is very easy to prepare, and is delicious as it is to accompany to your meals, or even use it in sweets or milkshakes. The most commonly known benefit of Gulkand is that it has a cooling effect on our body. In addition it has a plethora of other wonderful benefits for your health and happiness.
- Mitigates pitta dosha: Gulkand mitigates excess pitta in the body which can cause heat in the body, and so keeps the body cool. It removes problems like lethargy, rashes, aches and pains.
- Improves memory and eyesight: It also helps enhancing the memory power. It acts as a powerful antioxidant which also helps in improving eyesight over time.
- Helps digestion: Take 1 or 2 teaspoons of gulkand daily to reduce stomach heat and acidity. It helps in improving your appetite, and also enhances digestion to keep you at ease and free of any irritation in the stomach lining.
- Excellent skin tonic: Gulkand is great for the skin. It has anti-oxidant properties and helps to remove toxin from the body and purifies blood and so preventing skin problems like blackheads, acne, pimples and rashes.
- Protection during the summer: Have two teaspoons of gulkand before going outdoors in the summer sun as it helps in preventing sunstroke by cooling the body. It even prevents nosebleed that occurs due to excess heat in the body.
Anyone can benefit from the wonders of gulkand however a person with diabetes should consult their doctor before taking it.
Things You Need: Glass jar of wide mouth, Rose petals of the Damascus Rose, granulated sugar, cardamom seeds (optional), mukta pishti (pearl powder, optional)
- Ensure that the rose petals are clean and free from insects. Wash thoroughly to remove dust, pollen and nectar. Drain and keep in shade for 20 minutes.
- Arrange a layer of rose petals, top it with granulated sugar. Keep stacking them alternatively till the jar is full. Use wide mouth jar and set tight using cotton cloth.
- Close the lid tightly and keep it in the sun for up to 7 hours per day for about 4 weeks.
- Make sure that you mix the ingredients together with a wooden spoon every alternate day.
- At the end of 4 weeks your gulkand will be ready and will have a jam-like consistency.