Derived from the Arabic word, Zafran, Saffron is one of the most expensive spices in the world. However, in the world of Ayurveda, it is called as ‘Varnya Gana’ which can be translated as the one that enhances fairness and adds glow to the skin. Not just in Ayurveda, Saffron is quite popular in Chinese and Unani medicinal preparations. It has the ability to pacify all three doshas.
The health benefits of Saffron cannot be overstated more. It is an all-rounder spice that helps with many health troubles.
- These red sticks act as ‘Rasayana’ and helps your body attain complete rejuvenation by improving your immunity and energy levels.
- Saffron has bronchodilator effects which improve the respiratory functions of the lungs. It also helps in boosting pulmonary oxygenation therefore it works best for conditions like cough, cold, asthma, etc.
- If you have soreness and inflammation in your mouth or tongue, you can simple massage your gums with saffron.
- In heart patients, it aids to lower the blood cholesterol and triglycerides by keeping the blood presume under control. It can also be called as a cardio tonic.
- Ailments like indigestion, vomiting, diarrhea and acidity can be cured with Saffron. Also, it improves your digestion and increases your appetite.
- If you are facing trouble in between the sheets, Saffron works great as an aphrodisiac and cure impotence.
- For those who are suffering from insomnia, mix a pinch of saffron with warm milk and drink it at night for a sound sleep.
- For women, Saffron is a wonder herb. It not only helps managing PMS and irregular menstruation, but it has also been prescribed to facilitate difficult labour.
- Saffron is considered as a blood purifier and anti–inflammatory in nature.
- Popularly known for treating skin troubles, many Ayurvedic medicines contain Saffron for getting rid of acne, dry skin, dark circles, spots, etc. It beautifies you by giving you a natural glow. Also, when a pregnant woman drinks milk mixed with Saffron in her 3rd trimester, it imparts fair complexion on the baby.
- Along with physical woes, Saffron deals greatly with neurodegenerative disorders. It promotes learning, memory retention, and recalling capacity. It is useful in the treatment and management of age related mental impairment. Saffron has been known as an effective and safe treatment for early Alzheimer’s disease.