It’s that time of the year again when the monsoon brings solace to our country after a long stretch of the scorching summer sun. We get to enjoy the rains but at the same time, it brings with it the fear of so many diseases that most of us don’t feel the excitement of the monsoon anymore.
The monsoon means low digestive power which leads to low immunity.
Ayurveda has the answer to most seasonal problems we face and prescribes particular seasonal regimes. Some of them for varsha ritu (monsoon) are:
- Monsoon is when the digestive fire is dim.
- In order to increase it, at the initial stages of the season we should indulge in light and easily digestible food.
- After a period of 2-3 weeks, to enhance the digestive fire, we should consume a rich diet.
Our diet should include:
- Meat soups
- Soups of various pulses
- Whole grain foods
- Indian spices and seasonal fruits
We should avoid:
- Junk food, especially street food.
Other things to note:
- Warm water should replace our summer cool drinks.
- For strong immunity against flu we need our share of vitamin c and the richest and most easily accessible source is lemon.
- Drink at least 250ml of lemon juice a day.
- Vata is at its highest during varsha ritu.
- To bring it to equilibrium, a balanced diet cooked in natural oils and pure ghee is necessary along with yoga and pranayam.
Abhyangam (oil massage) and basti (medicated enemas) are the most important panchakarma treatments that should be done to cure your arthritis and other vata related ailments and to rejuvenate your body, mind and soul. Even though the sun is mild, don’t forget your daily source of vitamin D.
Good hygiene is so essential as there is dirt everywhere outside. Keeping your feet clean and dry along with cutting your nails is very important to avoid fungal infection and accumulation of dirt.
All of the above information is available to us through the medical texts of Ayurveda. This wisdom is something that is forgotten these days and we run to the chemists to fight even the common cold that flares up during this season and self medicate instead of adapting to the season as our body demands. Try out the above tips this year and see how much your body thanks you for taking care of it.
Experience the Magic of Monsoon Therapy at Maharashtra’s Largest Ayurvedic destination, your path to natural wellness begins with Ayurveda.