So you are blissfully asleep, and suddenly there is an excruciating spasm in your calves, or you are walking and suddenly it feels as if someone has pulled a muscle in your feet making it impossible for you to walk anymore. If you have experienced this in your life, let us tell you this phenomenon is called as Charley Horse.
As mysterious as the name sounds, Charley Horse is a bewildering pain in the leg muscle, most probably in the night times. Though it has continued to amaze the doctors and many experts around the world, one thing is for sure, charley horse induces a severe jolt of pain in the body. Even though, the disorder is quite common, people still are unaware about its treatment or remedies.
How to treat Charley Horse immediately?
- Massage the affected area
Usually experienced in calf, feet and thighs, to reduce the pain of the cramps, you can massage the painful areas. Using medium pressure, place your thumb and fingers on the leg and rub it in circular motion. This will improve circulation.
Since your muscles become stiff, stretching will help them to relax. You can perform different stretching exercises for quick relief. Sit and stretch your legs straight in front of you. Pull your toes backward and start pulling them backwards by grabbing them. Or you can stand upright on your toes for the longest period of time you can. Continue the exercise after breaks of few seconds.
- Warm water or ice helps
If you are at home when a charley horse hits you, then you can rush to the bathroom and run some warm water on it. Or fill your bathtub with warm water and Epsom salts. This combination will soothe the tight muscles and relieve you from pain. If that doesn’t help, you can use a cool compress or ice pack. But ensure that you don’t apply it directly. Wrap it in a towel first and place it on the skin for 15 minutes.
- Elevate your leg
If you can’t shake a charley horse, you can raise your leg by putting some pillow underneath your leg or placing it on a couch or chair’s armrest. Elevating the area will help to improve your circulation and move blood to/from the spasm area more effectively.
How to avoid Charley Horse in the future?
- Eat foods like bananas, avocados or oranges to increase the potassium levels in your body as it keeps muscle spasms at bay.
- Along with magnesium, calcium and potassium also work towards preventing cramps. So eat more dairy products and nuts to fill up your calcium and potassium quota.
- Stay hydrated and avoid diuretics as they make you urinate more and reduce the water content in your body.
- Water works wonders for charley horses. So chug a good quantity of water before you go to bed. This will help you get an undisturbed sleep in the night without any cramps.
- Placing a bar of soap in between mattress and bed sheet throughout the night is a natural remedy recommended by many experts for spasms.
However, if the condition still persists, then you should visit a medical expert. Ayurvedic Village treat disorders like Charley Horse, muscle spasms or cramps through authentic Ayurveda therapies. Visit our website for more details and book a therapy package for you in our new wellness center.